Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Building my future

While I joke about being okay with being a single gal, and I am, I also know that at some point in my future I will want to be an independent-minded woman staring at the adventures of my future with an independent-minded man at my side. I won't NEED him there, but I will want him to share in the experiences with me. And he won't NEED me there, but will equally want me.

I spent many nights mulling over the issues of my last relationship, both while it was happening and after the fact. I've learned from it. I may not ever know exactly what changed, but I've taken away from it the things I know will make me an even better partner in the future. And I also understand that there's no looking back. There's no sense in constantly re-hashing in my mind the events that occurred and the events that didn't. I will always enjoy the fond memories that I have of times past, but the memories aren't the present, and they hadn't been in awhile. You can't remain happy only from memories of long ago.

Just as you can't live in the past for happiness, you can't live in the past for sadness. You move on, you learn, you build your future forward.


And so I work on bettering myself, continually. I work on sorting out in my mind and planning for the life I'd like to have. I work on doing the things I love and being the person I want to be. I work on being happy, and doing the things that make me happy. I work on enjoying the moment. I'm building my life for the future.

I am a woman of action. And I know, both from that acknowledgement and from past experiences, that I want and need a man of action. A man who can help carry the load when it gets heavy. A man who will work with me, side by side, through the good days and the bad, to continually make our relationship the best it can be. Who will put in the effort to make the relationship great without making it feel like work. A man who will say nice things to me, both romantic and funny, to make me smile and laugh, but will also then follow those words with actions that reinforce the thought. A man who will call me on my sh!t when I get too sassy for my shoes (as Katie will attest I am apt to do), but love me just the same when the dust settles.

Does that man exist?

Who knows. I hope so. But until then, you can find me building my future...


No comments:

Post a Comment